In the first in a series on the technology that you should be looking at, this week we’ll answer the question: “What is Compute Ops Management (COM)?” COM is a set of practices and tools that help businesses manage their compute infrastructure. And just what is your compute infrastructure? For the most part, your compute infrastructure includes:
- Operating systems
COM encompasses the entire lifecycle of compute resources, from provisioning to decommissioning. This includes a variety of tasks from provisioning to monitoring, troubleshooting to optimizing, and of course, securing your environment from unauthorized access and attacks.
What Does COM Do?
Businesses implement COM in a variety of ways. This typically is dependent on the size and complexity of the company’s compute infrastructure. Despite these potential differences, all COM solutions share the following goals:
- Simplify and automate compute management tasks
- Improve the visibility and control of compute resources
- Reduce the risk of outages and security breaches
- Improve the performance and efficiency of compute resources
What are the Benefits?
As with most technology solutions, implementation is dependent on the business value of adoption. With COM, there are several attractive reasons to consider investing in a solution for your compute architecture. They include:
- Decreased costs. COM can help to reduce the costs of compute infrastructure by simplifying and automating tasks.
- Increased uptime. COM can help to improve uptime by identifying and resolving problems quickly.
- Increased security. COM can help to increase security by protecting compute resources from unauthorized access and attack.
- Improved compliance: COM can help to improve compliance by tracking and reporting on compute resources.
How Does COM Make my Life Easier?
If your day-to-day is in the weeds, managing a compute infrastructure, you may be less invested in the financial savings. No worries. COM can help you to simplify, automate, and secure your environment. For physical managers, there is very little that can compete with this sort of peace of mind. Regardless, we’ll list four key benefits here:
- Increased visibility. COM provides visibility into the entire compute infrastructure. This can help you identify and resolve problems more quickly.
- Improved efficiency. COM help to improve the efficiency of your compute infrastructure by automating tasks and optimizing resources.
- Reduced risk. COM assists in reducing the risk of outages and security breaches by providing visibility and control over your compute infrastructure.
- Improved compliance. With compliance an ever-present specter, COM helps you to improve compliance with industry regulations by tracking and reporting on your compute infrastructure.
Now you know what is “Compute Ops Management.” Are you still not sure where to go from here? That’s where we come in. Contact us today if you’d like to continue the conversation about COM or a thousand other ways we can help you get the most out of your technology investment.